Re: capacitors for MMCs ... what to choose?

Original poster: "resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Be sure to avoid MMC caps with polyesther or mylar film. They will not take the heat and usually die rapidly. Use only "extended foil" types with PP or PE dielectrics. How to find out? --- call the manufacturer. If you can't call them for some odd reason you proably should pass on them --- you would be taking a risk with the polyesther types.

I carry MMC caps in stock. Cornell-Dublier brand. Very robust for NST powered coils. Contact me off-list for more info.

Dr. Resonance

I found some high voltage capacitors (1 nF, 20 kV). Are they suitable to build a MMC? and if not why not?

I checked around and it seems that everyone is using bigger sized, more expensive caps such as these

In other words... what should one look for when buying caps for a MMC (apart from price!). Is the dielectric important (for self healing)? Many thanks for your comments
Thomas