Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer/MMC failure (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 08:34:10 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 15kva 14.4 kV Transformer/MMC failure (fwd)

Hi Anthony,

Yes, about that. 2.5 times in my book. What you are seeing however is
that many have derated their MMC banks somewhere between 1 and 1.5. I
went higher myself (old habits hard to break). When it comes to derating
of caps for voltage, there is always the rule of thumb available, but
also, the cap construction really determines what you can and cannot get
away with. With self-healing construction, the need is less. For
example, when the dielectric is a liquid or gas, etc. With MMC's and
coiler budgets, cost becomes the driving factor. From all the MMC's
coilers have used, it appears to me that it's worth the risk from a cost
approach. Also with MMC's, when a failure occurs, it's not the whole
ball of wax, usually a single cap or at worst a string (although I don't
recall an entire string letting the smoke out).

Take care,
Bart