Re: Tesla coil from a single microwave oven (fwd)

Moderated and approved by: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 13:05:05 +0900
From: Peter Terren <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Tesla coil from a single microwave oven

I have completed a Tesla coil made from the components of one microwave
oven.  This was set up by me as a competition with a $50 prize on the 4hV
forum.
http://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?15477.0
but no-one one won it and my entry was 9 days late so I didn't either.

Here's how it was done:
Power supply is the MOT. This needs current limiting and this is achieved
with a 150nF capacitor and the voltage is boosted by a one stage multiplier
using the MOT diode to give 6kV peak. Note that power is taken off across
the diode not across the cap to get the voltage multiplier effect. Hey
what's this about a 150nF cap? Where is that in a microwave oven? Well that
is the key to this project. The 1uF 10kV DC mylar and oil cap (that is in
all non-inverter MO's) needs to be taken apart and unwound. Lengths of the
multilayered dielectric and foil are taken out and cut to length. It took
about 10 feet of the windings to make 150nF. This is perhaps only 30% of the
total. New electrodes were added.
Tank cap. This is a 1nF cap. The technique is similar but I retained the
original electrodes from the cap to use in this section as they were better
suited to a high current. Construction of this cap was different in view of
the much higher voltage/current and frequency stresses. It used about 30% of
the length of the cap windings. The plates were only about 1 foot long by 2
inches, however I used two sections of foil/dielectric between them. The
foil was not connected and was kept to equalise voltage stresses. All in all
something like 12 layers of mylar and 2 foil layers separate the main
electrodes.
Being mylar they do warm up a bit.
Spark gap This is two aluminium electrodes (from the frame of the MO fan)
bolted to part of the MO timer circuit board with all the components and
printed circuit ground off. It really needs another section to give better
quenching.
Primary is the MO transformer 6V winding which is heavy copper. This is
stuck on to the 3 legged wheeled frame that the glass food tray sits on and
rotates.
Secondary former is the cardboard internal cardboard insulation from the HV
cap. It was washed but became a bit soft but still usable.
Secondary windings use wire from the fan motor and less than half was used.
The hot glue didn't stick the cardboard former together properly and the
windings slipped and overlapped. I have had some interturn shorting (and may
still have) so I can't really push the power much without a rewind. No idea
how many turns.
Toroid I did try winding lots of turns of wire on the fan blades but it
didn't improve the performance. so I just left the metal mesh spacer that
sits on the output of the magnetron for a nice colour.

Pics show the plan and sparks close up. Max sparks in low power testing were
1 inch but performance has dropped probably due to tuning or a shorted turn.
I can't push the secondary further due to the overlap.  Not fabulous
performance but the proof of principle is there are plenty of opportunities
to do better.

All the pics on my site here:
http://tesladownunder.com/Solid%20State.htm#Tesla%20coil%20made%20from%20a%20microwave%20oven

Peter