Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:44:21 -0800
From: Barton B. Anderson <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Hi Paul,

The inside is grounded in the model. If possible, I would have grounded
the outer rim as that will be reality. This is a problem to model with
tools at hand. Can your TSSP software select which end is grounded? In
the event you can, I'll paste specs below. You can be sure I'll measure
both cases once complete (it's now on my to-do list for this coil).

You are right about closewound flat coils. I've made those measurements
myself. All is good there. The spacewound case will be something new and
fun to check out. I'll measure as many modes as I can generate. I expect
f1 unloaded at about 390 kHz. As with everything, I'll take the coil
outside and run unloaded measurements first. I can do that pretty
quickly once the coil is wound. I'll make those measurements before I
add the primary ribbon so I have only the sec coil alone in the world (I
refer to this step because the primary ribbon will be wound on the same
form).

Javatc output of the coil is below for the stand-alone case. Q will be
likely garbage for a flat coil since finalizing this calculation was
empirically derived and there were no flat coils in the data.

Take care,
Bart

J A V A T C v.10 - CONSOLIDATED OUTPUT
Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:31:12 PM

Units = Inches
Ambient Temp = 68°F
Surrounding Inputs:
100 = Ground Plane Radius

Secondary Coil Inputs:
Current Profile = G.PROFILE_BARE
1.8125 = Radius 1
24.4375 = Radius 2
50 = Height 1
50 = Height 2
91 = Turns
18 = Wire Awg

Secondary Outputs:
387.47 kHz = Secondary Resonant Frequency
0 deg° = Angle of Secondary
22.63 inch = Length of Winding
4 inch = Turns Per Unit (inches in this case)
0.20832 inch = Space Between Turns (edge to edge)
625.4 ft = Length of Wire
3.99 ohms = DC Resistance
11916 ohms = Forward Transfer Impedance
11929 ohms = Reactance at Resonance
3.07 lbs = Weight of Wire
4.9 mH = Les-Effective Series Inductance
5.687 mH = Lee-Equivalent Energy Inductance
4.165 mH = Ldc-Low Frequency Inductance
34.434 pF = Ces-Effective Shunt Capacitance
40.053 pF = Cee-Equivalent Energy Capacitance
51.081 pF = Cdc-Low Frequency Capacitance
11.03 mils = Skin Depth
0 pF = Topload Effective Capacitance
17.8 ohms = Effective AC Resistance
672 = Q