Grounding the primary inner turn. (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 18:51:30 -0800
From: Jim Mora <jmora@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Tesla list' <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Grounding the primary inner turn.

Hello All,

I recently sold my pig and saturable reactor and bought a dry 5kva potential transformer and sliding reactor (satellite screw actuated) which should be great for my previously under-powered NST 8” coil. These will be mounted in a NEMA transformer cabinet with wheels, with way less weight. I have to remake the base to accommodate my ASRG and CD MMC.

The suggestion has been brought to me to ground one side of the PT HV and thereby ground the inner turn of the primary. This seems like a good idea as I have been slightly under coupled by design but am rewinding a new primary. This would eliminate flashovers to the base of the secondary and should allow much tighter coupling.

Ok, that’s what’s good, what’s the bad?
And should this be RF grounded?

I’m also building a 12” 3 phase; but, since it will be DC the considerations are quite different.

Regards,
Jim Mora
Old Iron Head :-)