Re: Wire Length (fwd)

Original poster: Gerry Reynolds <greynolds@xxxxxxxxxx>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 20:17:19 -0800 (PST)
From: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Wire Length (fwd)

The flat spiral is interesting because currents circulating
through the coil's internal self capacitance serve to increase
the effective inductance at resonance (in a solenoid of typical
TC h/d ratio, Les is less than Ldc)."

 This would lead to the speculation that they will thereby
increases the losses too.  In a primary who cares but in a secondary?

Ed

  Hi Ed,
      I am wondering....why would an effective increase in the inductance increase the losses?   The Q of a coil is defined as the inductive impedance divided by the ohmic resistance, is it not?   I guess I need to work out the calculations for the effect the increase in inductance has on the frequency and therefore the  impedance.  Does this result in a lowering of the impedance compared to the skin effect change in the apparent lowering of the resistance?   I'm shooting from the hip with these questions as I have not ever thought about this.   I would assume the change in skin effect...especially at 'low' (less than 200kHz), is negligible involving this.   I certainly could be wrong though....I really don't know but I hope to learn soon.   I can see that having a tuning cap or coil might come in real handy when setting up a flat, or even conical coil, to optimize it.   Something to ponder, I think.
  Mike