Re: Low-powered coil definition (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 08:11:41 +0800
From: westland <westland@xxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Low-powered coil definition (fwd)

I was wondering what to do with the RF ground as well Gary.  I'm a bit
wary of connecting to the mains ground, because I think that would tend
to cause some of the TC power to be pulled over to the mains circuit.
(I was previously planning simply on connecting the RF ground to the NST
case, and not bringing a mains ground to the NST).   Ed Phillips in an
earlier post provided arguments that because the TC is not a
transmitter, rather keeps most of its energy balled up around the
secondary, that a counterpoise -- maybe a cloth under the coil, and the
strike rail -- (with a dedicated ground if you are lucky enough to have
one) would be sufficient -- his argument that the RF ground is the
second plate to the toroid capacitor.  But he follows by suggesting that
the counterpoise be grounded to the mains ground.  So I still don't know
what to do since I'll be initially running this in my apartment (or a
University lab if I can convince one of the EE profs to let me use one
of theirs -- the ideal solution :-)   ).   I suppose that it depends on
how much RF energy there is away from the coil to short into the mains
ground.... with an antenna there is a lot floating around far away from
the transmitter; in a TC comparatively little.

I'd be interested to hear other views

Chris

--

J. Christopher Westland, PhD CPA
Professor, ISMT, University of Science & Technology, HK Clearwater Bay,Kowloon, Hong Kong