Drilling Gazing Balls - Re: Burn Out (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 15:16:32 -0700
From: Terrell Fritz <terrellfone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Drilling Gazing Balls - Re: Burn Out (fwd)

Hi Rich,

>   FedEx delivered Saturday a couple of 12" SS balls. I do have a
>question about them., did you drill into the small hole in the ball and
>what is the wall thickness at that point , they feel very light to be
>trying to drill and tap a hole? Why 2 balls?
>One multi-colored one for the wife to put in the garden and one silver
>one for me !!!!!
>
>Rich , from the middle of Missouri

The stainless steel is rock hard.  There is info on drilling it here:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2006/Oct/msg00590.html

There are also threads "Re: Gazing ball terminals" and "PIRANHA - New Top
Load Configuration" here:

http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2006/Oct/threads.html

The metal is about 1/32 inch so it is very thin.  But expect it to be a
real pain to drill.  I drilled the existing hole large to mount the slide
shafts in my case.  I am not sure it can be "threaded".  But there are
those molly screw fasteners and such for drywall that might work if you
needed a screw thread.

http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/inffastener/infanchor/infanchor.shtm

Cheers,

         Terry

Busy reading all the nice things people are saying about me :-)))))))))