Re: PCB 40ppm where sould oil be sampled.Pandora's box

Original poster: Mike <megavolts61@xxxxxxxxx>

Jim,
Why do anything so drastic? PCB's are basically inert..that's why they used them....the real trouble is if they get spilled into the environment....they just wont go away because they are so inert. Yes, there have been incidents where people working with them for a lifetime develop skin cancer, but usually those people have been dipping their hands/arms into them all day, every day for 30 years....I imagine gasoline would do much worse in a much shorter time. Sure...drain the tank and make your changes inside...then just put the oil back....it's just a safe there as in some plastic bucket...dispose of it later when you are done with the transformer. I'm sure there's still thousands of pole transformers in service that contain PCBs....you think the power company is gonna replace them if they are still working??
Mike

Original poster: "Jim Mora"

Hello again,

Too bad all the wading pools are put away for
winter! I?m going to pull the top of my Raytheon
sometime time soon. I?ll put it is a Large PE
bin. And the top will go in one likewise bin.
Below this will be a piece of something such as
chip board 4x8 ,ideas anyone? Clean up swabs..
face shield , army apron vitron gloves?.i. would
nor attempt this but the fluid passed the burn
test and looked a lot like the oil in my
certified pole pig. I have read that it sould be
clear a yellow to the bottom. That will be stage
two. The top has 6 sets of 8020 sockets which
tubes are expensive so I am going the diode way.

The .25? flat too will have to simple beehive
pass-through for 28K DC ~1amp. Furthermore, there
will be 4 LV pass-through for a wye 208 4 wire
connection, and a ground bolt.  Likely the gasket
will be replaced. BTW does it matter where the test is made?

Now for the bad scenario: suppose the top , all
connections and revemoved filament transformer
are above 40ppm. What heck do I do everything?
will be contained and swabbed down. At this point
I?ll do the 40ppm test, after that?well??? I
assume all swab material and the cool top will
placed in a 55  gal drum.. What does one swab the
oil with and followup clean up solvents?

Maybe the good side it passes 400ppm: the oil is oK! How do I get it
certified!

Jim Mora

Cheap Talk? <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/postman8/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=39663/*http://voice.yahoo.com>Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.