Re: tesla-d Digest V2006 #377

Original poster: Greg Leyh <lod@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

Yes, the TSSP is primarily the work of Paul Nicholson, Terry Fritz and others. Very comprehensive work.

-GL

Hi Greg,

I chose 9 segments only because it evenly goes into 36 and it reduced my chances of making an error when positioning the segments using JavaTC :o)))) If you choose more than 9 segments and want to have every combination of coupling, you will need to enter into the simulator the n(n+1)/2 coefficients but you dont need to do as much work finding their values using JavaTC. For example, all pairs if secondary segments with the same spacing between the two segments will have the same coupling regardless of where they are located on the secondary coil. I didnt assume this at first, so I did all combinations but this turned out to be the case.

The rise time of the waveforms from the simulation was 2us and propagation time from bottom to top was 6us. Any signal edge would span 12 inches of coil so a 4 inch segment seems to be a fine enough resolution.

The simulation seems to predict high stress points from the presumed overcoupling of my coil located where my coil actually broke out which was a good correlation so I tried to see if the simulation would predict higher stress points if the coil was miss tuned. It seemed to, although I havent completed this experiment yet. It did show the frequency splitting that coupled resonant circuits can have and this caused me to revisit the tuning a bit closer to make sure I was really on a properly tuned resonant point. I will report more as I finish. Thankyou for the link. I will take a look when time permits. This link points to the work of Paul Nickelson??

Gerry R