Re: potential gain vs. power in TC systems

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Gerry,

Remember we use 230V over here. The UK version of the Kill-A-Watt is rated at 230V and 15A which is 3750VA. It looks very similar to pictures that Terry posted of the US version, apart from having a UK socket and plug pins, and seems to be made by the same Chinese company, Prodigit, so I call it a Kill-A-Watt. The Prodigit model number on it is 2000MU.

A while back, I tested it against an old-fashioned electromechanical wattmeter on a DRSSTC load, and found that the two meters agreed within a few percent, even with the lousy power factor. I posted the results here.

It has an overload bleeper that sounds if you ever peg the A/D converter for the current, but I've never heard it sound.

If you want to measure even more power, it would be trivial to modify the meter with a 10:1 current transformer across the internal shunt, so it can read up to 37.5kVA :^)

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/

Tesla list <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds"

Hi Steve,

3.3KW with a kill-a-watt meter??? Mine has a max rating of 125Vac
and 15A for 1875VA. Are there larger ones out there???

Gerry R.