From: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>Tesla list
To: <mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 2:34 AM
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil RF Transmitter

Original poster: Jim Lux <<mailto:jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

At 12:08 PM 9/24/2005, you wrote:
>Original poster: "Dan" <<mailto:DUllfig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>DUllfig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
>Jim:
>
>Any resonant system will exhibit standing waves at certain frequencies.

What standing wave occurs in a lumped LC circuit?  There's reactive
power circulating, but not really a standing wave, which sort of
implies "propagation".

For that matter, is there a standing wave in a standard spark gap
tesla coil?  Nope.. a couple lumped LC circuits (albeit with some
uneven current distribution, etc.), not many waves travelling in that
primary. Yes, one CAN model the system as a complex transmission
line, but it fails the Occam's razor test.

>I have a feeling you are of the oppinion that the earth has no
>resonant mode or frequency. Is this so, and why?

Actually, the point was that just because you observe a bandlimited
phenomena, it's not necessarily because there's a resonance.  It
might be, and it might not. The observation itself does not provide
sufficient information to discriminate.

Sure, the earth has nice low Q resonant modes, but I don't think that
implies a standing wave.  I think the Q is so low that the system is
overdamped.