Re: Thinking About A Geiger Counter

Original poster: <davep@xxxxxxxx>

Various points:
  Chances of x rays from 'usual' size coils is slim going on nonexistent.
  UNLESS Wilfully Attempting to produce them: vaccuum tubes, etc.

  If researching for joy of knowledge:
    scintillation counter is the usual spelling.

  Happened on a book on 'radiation protection' over the weekend,
  in a used book store (they had a couple, actually...).  The
  test_to_qualify portion alone ran near 200 pp.  Its not a
  simple subject.

  One detector not mentioned, which has possibilities, is the old
  'pocket dosimeter', which had a charged reed, readable thru an
  internal magnifier.  Simple, sturdy, but....
     hard to find, i think,
  and
     It occurs to me that this, and, many, are subject to
     stray effects from High Voltages/fields which 'we'
     routinely deal with.

   (There are, i think, sundry dosimeters available,
    commercially, however:
     1) some seem marketed with more hype than accuracy
     2) 'all' seem at risk of false readings around HV
        gear.)

   best
    dwp