Re: MOV lightning arrestor in place of safety gap...MCOV?

Hi Aaron,

I posted this response to your question Friday around 9 AM
CDT, but the Tesla list appeared to be down most of Friday
and Saturday and I never saw my post appear on the Tesla
list. So, I'm going to repost it here:

Aaron,

I've had experience using these in the place of a safety gap before.
I originally also asked this list about the feasability of this idea and
I believe it was fellow list member Jim Lux? that stated that this
would indeed work, assuming that I had the right voltage rating
of the arrester(s) combo. Anyway, I originally used a 12 kV rated
arrester on my 10 kvA, 14.4 kV pig and it worked and didn't
start "clipping" the output of the pig until I ran the input variac
to the pig over about 85-90 on the 0-100 scale, with 100 being
280 volts input. It was easy to tell when this started happening
as the output sparks of the coil would start "sputtering" instead
of the constant roar. I now have a single 18 kV rated arrester
(15.6 kV MCOV) that I will be using with my 14.4 kV, 15 kVA
pig, so I don't think that I should be experincing much clipping
with this unit, even with 280 volt input into the pig. BTW, this
18 kV unit is one of the newer types with the butyl rubber ex-
terior ridges as opposed to ceramic and I think I also payed
more for the shipping of this item than I payed for the item itself
off of ebay. I think I only ended up with < $12 in it, total. I
was able to test it for functionality with an x-ray transformer
being slowly ramped up with a variac and it does start to clip
the voltage around 20 to 25 kV.

The guts of these things are interesting and appear to be several
seriesed cylinders of some type of refractory (almost like cement)
semiconductor material which are pressed against each other in linear arrange-
ment with a strong spring at one end of the arrester housing. There
is usually also some ceramic ring spacers and a couple of bronze
disc between each of the refractory semiconductor cylinders
to act as a controlled spark gap between each cylinder, I assume.

I think that your idea should work fine if you series enough of them
that their rated peak voltage equals or slightly exceeds the output voltage
rating of your pig. In your case, 4 or 5 of the 3 kV rated ones in series
would probably work just fine :^))

David Rieben

PS-Overvolting these arresters does NOT harm them as that's exactly
what they're designed to do on the utility primary line. Once the line
voltage
drops back below their cutoff voltage, they act just like an open circuit
once again.

----- Original Message ----- From: "David Rieben" <DRIEBEN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
[...]
terior ridges as opposed to ceramic and i think I alos payed
more for the shipping of this item than I payed for the item itself
off of ebay. I think I only ended up with < $12 in it, total. I
was able to test it for functionality with an x-ray transformer
being slowly ramped up with a variac.

The guts of these things are interesting and appear to be several
seriesed cylinders of some type of refractory semiconductor
material which are pressed against each other in linear arrange-
ment with a strong spring at one end of the arrester housing. There
is usually also some ceramic ring spacers and a couple of bronze
disc between each of the refractory semiconductor cylinders
to act as a controlled spark gap between each cylinder, I assume.

I think that your idea should work fine if you series enough of them
that their rated voltage equals or slightly exceeds the output voltage
rating of your pig. In your case, 5 of the 3 kV rated ones in series