Re: MOV lightning arrestor in place of safety gap...MCOV?

Original poster: "J. Aaron Holmes" <jaholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks Gerry.  That makes sense.  Some rise time
figures on the datasheet seem to support your
interpretation.  I guess I'm wondering now which of
these ratings suggests how I would use one (or many)
of these devices to protect a transformer in Tesla
coil service.  I'm not sure how the arrestor and MCOV
ratings correlate to the ratings of ordinary
off-the-shelf MOVs such as what you'd find at DigiKey.
 Anybody know?  Should I just go with the transformer
HV / MCOV?  For my pig that would be 14760 / 2550 =
5.7 (6 to be safe).  For my PT that's 15600 / 2550 =
6.1, so six is probably fine there too (barely
exceeding MCOV for each unit, and use would be
intermittent anyway).  I've got 13 of these, so
putting six in series isn't a big deal.  They look
cool, too :D

Unfortunately, my RMS test below probably doesn't give
me an accurate picture of when these things start to
clip the transformer output.  I need an HV probe for
the scope!  Time to head out to Fry's and blow my
weekly Tesla allowance, I s'pose :)

73,
Aaron, N7OE