Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Terry,
I do find these results very interesting. Regarding the extra coil taking it's feed inductively because of the coaxial
position he ran it in back in CS, I have to wonder about that. You can see the room was not that large and I don't think he ran it outside of the main coil, tell me if he ever did please.
But when the coil was duplicated or semi-duplicated at Wendover, the extra coil ran well outside and inside the 51 feet main coil. Of course, per the computer simulation, the term "ran well" is a bit up in the air.
I would tend to think the distance from the ID of the outer coil to the OD of the inner coil would have made for some rather loose coupling, compared to the energy the extra coil received from the direct connection at it's base from the top of the secondary.
Roughly that is ~21 feet extra coil OD to main coil ID, yes that is kind of loose coupling.
Since you are now looking at inductive coupling when the extra coil is within the main, I took a look at the drawing again because something struck me as odd. http://www.hot-streamer.com/mike2004/Wendover_Coil_Print_And_Spec.jpg because I see what looks like a reverse sense winding of the extra coil compared to where it comes off the primary. Unless that was done for convenience, which would not be good to do, note that the 50 feet of wire from secondary dresses to the left hand side (facing) of the extra coil base. This implicates the direction of winding to start point reference. At the secondary top this wire feeds from, it shows, not clearly enough, that if the end of the secondary simply went straight off the turn in the direction of the extra coil (the 50 feet of wire) to the left side of extra coil base and start point, they are wired out of phase, if you also view them later in a center of main coil placement.
But the turn at the top of the extra coil, by the print, shows the wire exiting the winding and terminating at the top in the proper phase. In stand alone outside placement, this phase issue in no big deal but if the coupling inside the main coil is enough to take into account as extra input power as you thought it might be taken if the program were so modified, the phase may be wrong and bucking.
What is confusing by the drawing is the base of extra coil starts in one direction but ends at the top in the other direction.
So we have 3 data points of coil winding direction, the one at top of secondary, says CCW, the one at base of extra coil says CW and the top of extra coil says CCW. A picture of the secondary from another site shows the Extra coil, just like the print, gets a feed starting on the left hand side of the extra coil base. See http://home1.gte.net/res07cmo/hv/golka/golka.htm
for a couple of decent pictures showing this.
So, the secondary base seems wired to the print, clearly if it winds upward, it has to come out as a CW winding.
Like in the old comedy, who's on first?
With the great spacing between Primary and extra, it may not make much difference for your induction feed but if used, a closer look at this phasing may be in order.
For Malcolm a question, when you did that 1:25 ratio scale model, did you use this print as a coil winding model, do you still have it, etc.
Regards,
Mike

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Sunday, June 26, 2005 3:27 PM Subject: Re: Tesla's CS Coil Data from ScanTesla and all....

Hi Bart,

Dave from TCBOR sent me a bunch of Richard Hull's data. I pieced together the rest with the programs. It IS Tesla's Colorado Springs coil.

I do wonder... The third coil in Tesla's machine may have been able to pickup a substantial amount of energy not as a magnifier where the third coil is isolated, but as a standard coil where the induction from the primary/secondary was coupled to the third coil... Not counting the coupling to the third coil may not be right... Maybe Tesla's big machine was more of an Oudin coil than a magnifier...

Perhaps the program needs secondary to third coil coupling added... Or, just try modeling as a standard two coil system... I can easily run the primary to third coil coupling...

K = 0.053

That may we be enough to supply more energy to the third coil than the wire...

Hmmmmm...

Cheers,

        Terry