Re: Super Static Gaps

Original poster: "Bart B. Anderson" <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Jim,

I would just like to say that everything John mentioned was exceptional. I could not agree more. I am not so sure about the async gaps not performing as well as you had mentioned in your initial post. I believe that what you observed IS "what you observered". But, with each gap, there are "good ones" and "everything else". I've run a sync gap on my 8.5" coil the past few years and it did well (but not as well as my recent async gap).

While off the list this year, I dismantled the srsg and installed a 3-phase 2-hp motor running off a VFD. I can vary the speed with the twist of a pot. The coil has never run better and it sound's like a high powered formula 1 racecar (so my son says). Often, coilers have different results with their given setups. They do a set of tests and measurement and often come to a conclusion of which is best and which is not. But, others may have had the same persuits and perserverance, yet come to opposite conclusions. I know you were talking about smaller coils than my own, however, I just wanted to pass on that I have not personally experienced your assessment for gaps (and I've ran quite a few types; rotating pipes, flywheels, Tungsten/G10 SRSG, Async, TSG's, Precision Static Gaps, Combo's, etc.] ).

I still have one other type of gap I'm sort-of curious about (a self-evacuting compression gap), but so far, it has been rather apparent to me that different coils do better with some gap types than others. I've never seen one gap that outperforms all others on all given coils. The RSG would be closer to that than any other for most coils (regardless of sync or async) simply by temperature stability.

I was very impressed with the gap style that performed well for you. Is it possible you could post some photo's for all to see on a web site. (I offer my website for storage if needed [classictesla.com]).

Take care,
Bart B.

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx