Re: Super Static Gaps

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

a "super static gap". It consists of a stack of brass plates with a hole in each plate. A large brass washer is soldered on each side of the hole on each plate...

Great! I think that is one of the designs used in the old spark radio transmitters back in the 1900s and 1910s. Even down to the blower forcing air through the hole in the middle of the stack. Those transmitters were developed to a very high state before vacuum tubes blew them off the bandstand, so I'm guessing that must be about the best static gap you can make.

It would be interesting to see how a triggered static gap of this design performed compared to a sync rotary. Transmitters were also made with rotary gaps so I'm guessing the performance difference wouldn't be too great.

Steve Conner