Re: MOT Caps DC Limit

Original poster: Thomas Venning <hydron.mls@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, I guess this is as good a place as any to begin posting. I've been following the list on and off for about 3 years, but have not had either the time nor money (poor student) to do any real work on a coil except collect a couple of NSTs and a pile of MOTs.

Just relating my experiences finding MOTs and their caps in Auckland New Zealand. There are actually a small number microwave oven repair places around, but I've tried a couple of them with no luck - at both I spoke to gentleman without a firm grasp of english, who didnt appreciate (or understand) the reason I wanted to get a few caps or transformers.
The way I gathered most of my collection of about 10 MOTs and maybe 12 caps was through "inorganic rubbish collections", where the council comes around and collects everyones (inorganic) rubbish from the side of the street. Used to happen every couple of years in Auckland, but I think this year was the last. So anyway, I basically drove around and ripped apart dead microwaves for transformers and caps. The biggest problem was that people were also going round looking for copper to sell to metal merchants, and targeted the MOTs too. Most of those ovens still had caps inside them though.
I've got no idea if these rubbish collections happen anywhere else in NZ, but if they do and you have time to drive around, then they are a good source of MOTs and other junk, including a lot of old computer gear.

Thomas V

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Steve
Thanks forthat experience
Only option in NZ is really to keep ear to gnd and hunt for dead MO's as no
manufacturing base here and limited repairs, if in right place at right time
dead MO's can be had.
If I need to go  for lots of MO caps I'll post on list to see if any NZ
coilers want to sell some of their hoardings as I will want about 10 more of
these and thats a lot of MO's to find at the dump
Tnx
Ted L in NZ
Subject: Re: MOT Caps DC Limit