Re: Help with my rotary gap (and other tuning problems).....

Original poster: "Adam R." <arabraxas@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I fixed the fuse blowing problem with a 4uF AC cap....however, I am noticing that if I disconnect the capacitor from the circuit, adjusting the variac does the same for the phase adjustment, ie, the cap does not seem to be doing anything.

I trust that the 4uF is correct, so my assertion is that maybe the LC circuit formed is not doing what it is supposed to? I did check the variac wiring by taking it apart somewhat--it is correct (when I start up the setup, it is on the lowest L, as I turn the knob, L increases until eventually the motor won't spin anymore.

Is the cap infact doing anything or could something ELSE be wrong?

Thanks.