Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/19/05 10:29:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Steve,

Well I can agree with what you're saying there.  I usually consider
a long enough secondary as a necessary "given" when building a coil.

But assuming a large enough secondary, a wide
range of toroid sizes can be used and will work with
varying results.  For this reason I tend to focus more
on the toroid size than the secondary size.  The
interaction of toroid size, bang size, and break rate
seems like an interesting issue to me, as I know it is
to you also.

Cheers,
John

So, IMO, the spark output is limited by-

-the toroid size
-the clearance between toroid and strike rail
-the resonator length

I reckon a reasonable limit for spark length is about
three times whichever of the above dimensions is
smallest. (for the toroid I guess "size" would be the
major diameter?)

This is based on empirical observation so is open to
debate.

Steve Conner