Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps - any difference?

Original poster: boris petkovic <petkovic7@xxxxxxxxx>

> Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> >When I ran my coil at 30 bps, it
> >caused this same "gas burner" effect of very short
> sparks all
> >around the toroid.  The break rate was just too
> low.
>
> The coalescence thing is interesting. I found that
> on my DRSSTC (Man's best
> friend) I could get long sparks even at the lowest
> break rates. The best I
> have done is a 22" strike to ground with a single 5
> joule bang.
>
> The sparks do look different at high break rates-
> they tend to bunch
> together into a thick tree-like structure- but they
> really don't get that
> much longer. The most I have ever seen from the coil
> is about 35" going
> flat out with 200 5-joule bangs per second.
>
> I think this is because the resonator is so small
> (13" overall height) and
> the solenoid primary eats into the available space
> for E-field even
> further. It just never develops enough of a field
> over a large volume of
> space to grow long straight sparks. Adding power
> just causes strike rail
> hits and flashovers.
-----
Hi Steve,

IMHO,it is not the toroid background E-field which is
of prime importance to support longer spark growth,but
the larger toroid ability to feed long sparks with
more CHARGE.
Even though for the same bang size ,inital terminal
potential may be higher for a smaller toroid used,a
charge surplus of a bigger toroid appears to be more
important (up to a certain limit ,of course)

Also,note that secondary with a larger toroid on
,exhibits  smaller detuning effects in TC system for
the spark of the same lenght attached.

regards,
Boris