RE: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Christoph:

You could wind a new coil for the open core if you have some spare
#14ga or so wire.  I have 60Turns on my core.  With no gap 38 mH.  With
.040" gap 6 mH.

The core is one of the small MOT approx 4-1/8 X 3-7/16 X 2-1/2
I computed Ae = 2218 mm^2, Le = 210 mm, and Ve = 464727 mm^3 if you want
to compare.

Drops about 30 VAC at 14 amps and 60 Hz with the .040" gap.

Mark

-----Original Message----- From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx] Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 4:02 PM To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: DIY HV transformer

Original poster: "Christoph Bohr" <cb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Mark.

Thanks for your reply.
I already opened a core just as you describe it and the
E and the I part of the core really seprate nicely while
the remaining welds hold the laminnations together. Unfortunately this
transformer had both windings ruined. But I still have a bigger one I
will try to modify this way. It has also a primary failure, but on one
of the outer layers. I think it should be OK to remove some turns
there... I will carry out these tasks in the next few days and report
what happened.

best regards

Christoph