Re: Tesla Coil Experiments

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 7/6/05 2:13:23 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Good morning,
Several years ago, I bought a 3 inch by 6 foot clear acrylic tube. I
sealed one end with a flat piece of acrylic and put brass acorn nuts on
both sides of the flat piece ( electrically connected). On the other end of
this pipe, I put another piece of flat acrylic with a 1/4 inch I.D. copper
pipe glued thru a hole in this piece. In other words, I can attach a vacuum
pump to the copper pipe and evacuate the tube. I had spoken to someone
about making a "lightning tube" using this tube, but have since lost the
email. I seem to remember him telling me to evacuate the tube and then back
fill with neon or other gas and seal the tube. When supported near my TC,
it would supposedly conduct thru the gas and show "lightning". Am I on the
right path??? Can someone steer me in the right direction on this
project??? Maybe off-list since this might be a little off-topic ??? I'm
just looking for some interesting things to do with my TC.

Thanx
George Stein
Bedford, Va.

Hi George,

This is very similar to the experimental model Tesla built to provide a basis for patent #645,576 in lines (330-380). He recommended a pressure in the tube of 120-150 mmHg, of ordinary air, no special gas back-fill required. His conduction tube was 50 ft. in length.

Hope this helps,

Matt D.