Re: new coil

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 1/21/05 3:09:07 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Well i tested my new coil and i wasnt all that impressed but hey if it
worked everytime then there wold be no fun in it.....it would only put out
about 2 inch sparks to a tin foil ball hooked directly to the ground on the
coil... Then i was starting to get some decents sparks while adjusting it
and i noticed a small glowing spot and then about 10 appeared all over the
primary coil.......melted the insulation in spots....my dads theory is to
much power for the coil. were going out in a little while to go buy some
parts to reconstruct the primary.......any suggestions on the best
primary.....ive seen flat pankacke like ones or a strait up one or even a
funnel shaped one and also what is the best wire or copper tube to use.

Andrew

Andrew,

I prefer flat spiral primaries. For lower powered coils, as I believe yours is, use bare # 10 copper wire available at the hardware store as ground wire - or .25" copper tubing if you want. Buy one of the white plastic cutting boards at the grocery store. These are usually HDPE which is an excellent material for high voltage work. Cut 1.5" to 2.0" wide strips to serve as the radial supports for the primary. Using 4 to 6 of these, line them up evenly and cut notches down in the tops to hold the wire or tubing. Mount these to a plywood base by using screws up from the bottom into holes predrilled into the radial supports. It is best to tap the holes for say # 8 screws and then use a screw length that only goes maybe .5" into the plastic. Remember to offset the radials from each other so the wire or tubing can form a nice even spiral. I find it best to mark where the supports will go on the base, then cut out most of the material in between the supports. This allows you to put some legs on the base in the corners and then bring your tap lead up from the bottom of the primary.

Have fun,

Ed Sonderman