To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01/24/2005 01:32PM
Subject: Re: Welder question not coil related

Original poster: steve date

Jim,

You forgot to say if this is a 240 or 120 vac welder... It will make a
difference as to the answer....

steve - seattle

Original poster: JBarrett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I purchased an old Hollup welder manufactured by National Cylinder and Gas
company of Chicago, Ill. This welder was bought at a swap meet in New York.

The welder works very well BUT the other day I had my hand on the housing
and touched the ground clamp. OUCH! It shocked me so hard it made me sick!

I've had a couple of electricians look at my wiring in the garage and the
welder. They say it is hooked up correctly. The case is not energised but
the ground clamp has 120 volts to ground. The thing that confuses me the
most is I can take the ground clamp and ground it out and nothing
happens.  No sparks, no blown breakers nothing but if I touch the ground
clamp on the welder and a earth ground it bites hard.

Is the ground clamp and the equipment ground the same? There isn't
continuity between the case and the ground clamp on this welder.

Any thoughts?
Jim