Re: pole pig

At 03:40 PM 2/2/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Ok, I`l bite.

It is true, I built my own high voltage transformer, and I was a rookie coiler back then. Heck, I even built a variac to match it right after:
Since the rave was "Pole Pigs" but mine was smaller, yet still vastly bigger than the average joe`s neon transformer, both unobtanium here, I christened it the Mag(num)neon porkchop:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/pig/porkchop.htm
The variac that followed:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/variac/variac.htm
There is a lot of "talk" about transformers, how difficult it is, and so on. The secret is: at 50Hz, there is nothing to it. Just get a core that is big enough, trial and error yourself onto the voltage per turn of that core, then set yourself to winding some copper on those bobbins

I haven't made any big power transformers, but I've bought and specified a fair share, and built some RF transformers, and modified some MOTs. Finn's right.. Getting a design that "works" is fairly straightforward, and there's a fair amount of general information out there on how to do it. The hard part is:
- making a small one for a given power level
- making a particularly high voltage one (where simple paper/oil won't do for insulation)
- making a design that is manufacturable at a reasonable cost

If you don't care how big it is, get a giant core with big windows, and go to town.

Finn continues:
One litle piece of good, solid advice: Get friendly with the shop foreman at the local motor rewind shop in town, he has both the wire and the isolation materials needed to finish the project. Accustomize yourself to paying for the parts, and that at the end of the project, you will probably have spent more money on it, then if you had bought the darn thing from a store. Cest la vie.