Re: pole pig

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h@xxxx>

Ok, I`l bite.

It is true, I built my own high voltage transformer, and I was a rookie coiler back then. Heck, I even built a variac to match it right after:
Since the rave was "Pole Pigs" but mine was smaller, yet still vastly bigger than the average joe`s neon transformer, both unobtanium here, I christened it the Mag(num)neon porkchop:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/pig/porkchop.htm
The variac that followed:
http://home5.inet.tele.dk/f-hammer/tesla/museum/variac/variac.htm
There is a lot of "talk" about transformers, how difficult it is, and so on. The secret is: at 50Hz, there is nothing to it. Just get a core that is big enough, trial and error yourself onto the voltage per turn of that core, then set yourself to winding some copper on those bobbins
I don`t beleive in giving out a design, because the risk of giving it out to idleness is big. It is better that you find the solutions by studying. This way our progress will be guided by your enthusiasm, and the final product: you will own it Hook Line & Sinker.
You can make it neat or not, to each his own, but it is not so difficult, really.
I`ve seen some pretty hairy looking realizations, as well as some really neat ones, afaik, they all made sparks.
One litle piece of good, solid advice: Get friendly with the shop foreman at the local motor rewind shop in town, he has both the wire and the isolation materials needed to finish the project. Accustomize yourself to paying for the parts, and that at the end of the project, you will probably have spent more money on it, then if you had bought the darn thing from a store. Cest la vie.

Cheers, Finn Hammer

Tesla list wrote:

Finn Hammer built his own HV transformer. I think he has a site about it but I don't know where right off. It is a pretty big undertaking!! Just finding the 100+ pounds of transformer iron laminates might be far harder than just finding a pole transformer.

Cheers,

        Terry