Re: 20 joules at 100 bps vs 4 joules at 500 bps

At 12:01 AM 8/2/2005, Tesla list wrote:

Hi Jim,

I believe the 3MV/m is also for a nonuniform field. If the E field is at this level only within an inch of the surface of the toroid, that inch of air will breakdown and start forming a streamer. Yes???

Gerry R.

yes, you're right.. I guess what I meant was that you can't use 3MV/m to calculate spark gap breakdown voltage, since most gaps don't have anywhere near a uniform field. As you say, wherever the local field is greater than 3MV/m, breakdown can start.