RE: MOT Testing

Original poster: "Mark Dunn" <mdunn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Paul:

I agree on Z as a sum.  Yes, it was a pun.  Watch the Current Limiting
thread to see how Terry and Gerry answer my questions on this subject.

Your heating elements should work if they have a resistance equal to the
required Z for the inductor that we calculated.  Be aware that they will
get real hot disappating all that power as they will use true power to
obtain the required voltage drop.  The beauty of the inductor is that it
affects only apparent power and has no effect(except for its R) on true
power.

I like to use gapped cores for inductors because then I can vary the
inductance and thus change the current limiting without re-designing the
inductor.  I don't have a Variac(like you) so my inductors have to be
variable to serve as my Variac.

Mark

Original poster: "Paul B. Brodie" <pbbrodie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark,
Thanks a lot. You have been extremely helpful. While at the appliance
repair shop, I grabbed a bunch of stove top heating elements and oven
heating elements. All of them test good. I thought they would make great

low ohm, high watt, low inductance resistors. Other than looks, is there

any reason I shouldn't use these as resistors this way?

I saw that business about Z^2=Z1^2+Z2^2+Z3^2+... and I don't know where
this came from. I checked my copy of The Art of Electronics by Paul
Horowitz and Winfield Hill, second edition and on page 32 it says that
series impedance is calculated as Z=Z1+Z2+Z3+.... Where did I miss the
boat? I know you guys are way ahead of me, so I figure there is
something
I'm not taking in to account. The Electric Engineering professor at the
local university told me that this book is just about the best
electronics
reference available, so I feel like I can trust it, especially on
something
as basic as this. I hope someone can explain this to me, please. BTW,
was "sum" discussion a pun?

Now, I'm reading full tilt about constructing inductors. I'm sure I'll
find
plenty in the archives.

Paul
Think Positive