Re: Fw: Primary tuning

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 4/20/05 9:17:32 AM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi all,

I need to get some input from from what you guys
on the tap point of your primary coils vs. the size and #
of turns of your secondary coils and the physical size of your
toroids. I ran the specs of mine through Bart Anderson's Java
TC program and after it "crunched the numbers" it stated that
my primary should tune in at only a little over 4 primary turns.
That's assuming my 12x56 toroid for the top hat and .2 uFd for
the primary tank capacitance. However, I have to tap up to
about 10 primary turns before I start to get any output off of
my massive toroid, even w/ a breakout point. I have about 1260 turns
of #19 wire on 12.75" x 48.5"  of a gray PVC duct pipe for the secondary
coil and have a spiral of 12 turns of 5/8" OD copper tubing
for the primary w/ ~ 1/2" turn/turn spacing and the innermost
turn at about 15" in dimeter and the outermost (12th) turn at
about 40" in diameter. I'm starting to think that I may have
to either add to my primary coil or go to an even higher pri-
mary capacitance. Maybe I didn't enter my data properly
into Java, but I think I did. Maybe some of you guys that are
more proficient at computer programs than myself can run the
above info and see what you come up with for the proper pri-
mary tuning point of my coil?? O, yeah, the bottom secondary turn
sits at 2 1/2" above the plain of the top of the primary coil.

Thanks,
David

David,

How long are the sparks that you get at turn # 10? What is the power supply? I ran some numbers on my spreadsheet and it says it should tune at turn # 8.

Ed Sonderman