[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: primary tuning
- To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: primary tuning
- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:54:14 -0600
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Old-return-path: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Resent-date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:58:13 -0600 (MDT)
- Resent-from: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
- Resent-message-id: <QBUdAC.A.8sE.T28ZCB@poodle>
- Resent-sender: tesla-request@xxxxxxxxxx
Original poster: Paul Nicholson <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
David Rieben wrote:
> 12x56 toroid ...
> .2 uFd for the primary tank...
> about 1260 turns of #19 wire on 12.75" x 48.5" ...
> a spiral of 12 turns of 5/8" OD ...
> innermost turn at about 15" in dimeter ....
> outermost (12th) turn at about 40" in diameter.
> the bottom secondary turn sits at 2 1/2" above the
> plain of the top of the primary coil
I ran your specs through tssp software and found a secondary
frequency of around 53kHz (given some guess of how high the
toroid is above the secondary), and found the tap needed to be
around 8 turns to resonate the primary at this.
The input parameters are well inside the range of numbers
for which JavaTC and tssp should give good answers (eg better
than 5%) so the fact that you predict 4 turns, I predict 8,
and you measure 10, is significant. Something is wrong with
the parameters to the programs, and maybe also with the system.
I assumed the primary was 2.5" above ground, making the secondary
start at 5" elevation. I assumed the toroid plane was 2.5" above
the top of the secondary winding, and that the winding was 48.5"
inches long. I assumed 12x56 toroid means 56" overall diameter
made from a 12" diameter tube. Also I assumed the coil was well
away from walls and ceiling.
1/ One of us has put the numbers in wrong - a factor of 2 error
between JavaTC and tssp is inconceivable for this size coil.
2/ There'll be a good reason for the error.
1/ We've both put the numbers in wrong.
2/ You've got an open circuit string on the primary cap (MMC?)?
- Check my assumptions above. Is your toroid higher?
- Can you measure secondary inductance? I predict 119mH.
- Check primary C really is 0.2uF.
- Can you measure secondary Fres?
Rest assured, there *will* be a good reason for this discrepancy,
it will interesting to find. I would like to see predicted and
measured tap points be within half a turn.