Re: Magnifier Driver coil design

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

Yikes!

6th order does not sound fun (first semester diff eq student, so im
lucky to get through 2nd order stuff).  It looks like i should just do
things experimentally.

I did look at the coupling formula Antonio has supplied (its on his
site as well as at the bottom of this email) and arrived at 2
"conclusions" for a possibly successful design.  First, go for an
overall K (k') of ~.25, where my DRSSTCs seem to really perform.  And
second, use a ratio of about 1:4 for the secondary to tertiary
inductances, which is basically required to get an overall K of .25
with a pri/sec coupling of a reasonable .57.  A ratio of 1:3.5
requires only pri/sec K of .53.  Of course the only problem is
developing too much voltage on the secondary winding, causing corona
loss, or worse, secondary to primary flashover.

I should begin construction in a week or so i think, after im happy
with a design.

Steve