Re: Terry's DRSSTC - Controller Experiment

Hi Paul,

At 03:51 AM 4/12/2005, Paul Brodie wrote:
Terry,
I know this is going to sound weird but this is somewhat depressing to me. It is as if you have taken "the magic" out of Tesla Coils. One of the biggest attractions of building a coil, for me at least, was the mystique and the slightly outside the norm quality.

As we learn more about coils, the sparks get better and easier to make. By "knowing things", we simply make the process of Tesla coiling easier. I think most of us knew what Steven's initial frustration at getting his coil was like. My first coils never worked at all... But today, fist coils almost always work with a little help!! Gerry's second coil is one of the best performers around! So perhaps Tesla coiling has gone from a "sink or swim" black art ruled buy luck, to more of a collect these parts and "just build it" thing. But that has allowed many more folks to join in on the fun!!!

Personally I don't miss the "mystique" at all!! I thought it really sucked ;-) Waisted hundreds of hours of my time...