[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Transformer trouble?

Original poster: "Steven Steele" <sbsteele@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

All right, if you open your NST you should be able to find something that may at first look like a power resistor. It's not. I believe it is a solid state relay.You may also find a regular relay. All of this must go. You may want to cut off the side of the NST casing near this to get to it. See the attached file. ( forgive the crudeness) :)

To figure out what's what, use a multimeter on continuity. It should beep between 5&2, 6&4, and 1&3. Solder 2 to 1 and solder 3 to 4. Leave any other wires you find alone. you don't need to do anything to them other than make sure they don't touch anything. I would suggest leaving the top of the NST off so you cam monitor it. Then you plug it into a power bar, cross your fingers and turn the power bar on. It should work. Just be careful not to damage the transformer other this modification. Don't worry if it looks ghetto. Even ghetto stuff works. :)
Be careful, and have fun!


Steven Steele

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 11:58 PM Subject: Re: Transformer trouble?

Original poster: FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx
In a message dated 4/1/05 9:39:26 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Is anybody having trouble with the ground-fault interrupting circuit on
their NST?
Because I can tell you how to bypass that circuit. At least for a Poly-Lok
transformer from Transco, Inc. I'm sure the process is similar to other
transformers, too, but thats the kind I've got. I just fixed it about an
hour ago and it works great.

I'd like to know!
I hard-wired the "temporary bypass" switch on my brand-new surplus ACTown NST's (switch never worked unless continuously depressed), which enabled Jacob's ladder use but not Tesla Coil use at anything over half power.
I also suspect (because of others' previous postings) that if the ACTown potting is epoxy, mine must not have set right because it's still fairly soft. However, I'm guessing that adding heat to melt it out might simply set the epoxy and make it hard, making further de-potting attempts impossible. This might explain the odd behaviour of the filler when heat is added.

-Phil LaBudde