Re: New coil not working...

Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 5/19/04 10:55:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
Original poster: "Greg McCoy" <gemccoy-at-nbnet.nb.ca>

Thanks, all, I got my caps in parallel today and they now fill with
electricity when turned on. I haven't had a real chance to tune it, and it
would also be futile, as until next wednesday it is in the school (of course
with no suitable ground). But after that I will have to give it another go.

I really hate to be stupid, but what is variac?

It is a variable-output transformer, usually with only one winding,
somewhat like the ones used on toy trains, only bigger and designed for
0-140V or 0-280v output instead of 0-16v.

Oh, and what about O3 poisoning? I was doing some research and found out
it's quite dangerous in high concentrations. After running my coil for a few
seconds the smell is quite strong. Do Tesla Coils produce enough ozone to be
dangerous in that sense? should I only be running it in a well-ventelated
area?

It's not as deadly as running your car in a closed garage, but it is
harmful if you get enough. Therefore, ventilation is very good. TCs produce
both O3 and a variety of NOx compounds, some of which combine with moisture
in the air to form "acid rain". You don't want nitric acid or related
compounds forming in your lungs. Nitrous oxide also has an anesthetic
effect, which can cause dizziness or unconsciousness. An open window is
good, a window with exhaust fan is better, outdoors is best. Running a coil
for short durations in a large auditorium, exhibit hall,  or school gym is
ok because there is plenty of air space and usually good ventilation.

Thanks Again,
Greg

Hope this helps,
Matt D.