Re: Tesla Coil RF interference

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 19, 2004 7:18 AM
Subject: RE: Tesla Coil RF interference

 > Original poster: "Paul Marshall" <klugmann-at-hotmail-dot-com>
 >
 > I noticed this with small out of tune coils. Actually, the first coil I
 > ever built was on a 1 1/2 inch form. At low power 450 watts, It would
light
 > a neon tube at a distance of 30 feet. Metal objects that were not grounded
 > had induced voltages as high as 3kV. My neighbors complained about their
TV
 > just looking like a blizzard. On the other hand my 6.5" coil running at 10
 > kW wouldn't do that and I was getting 8' streamers. I think it has a lot
 > do with frequency. You seem to have just hit the right one.

Perhaps smaller coils are higher frequency, which aggravates the incidental
coupling effects.  The harmonics will also extent higher in frequency for a
higher frequency coil.

I too have noticed that when out of tune, EMI is a lot worse than when in
tune.  Maybe because less power is making it to the secondary, and the
primary is actually the primary radiation/interference source.  Certainly,
there's an appearance of more energy in the primary spark gap when out of
tune.