Re: Variacs Wanted

Hi Steve,

Yes,  the one I bought (from the canadian outfit) had the wiring of the
power cord (input) reversed such that the circuit breaker was in the neutral
path.  When the variac was set to 0 volts out,  the output plug had both the
neutral and hot at 120 Vac.  A short from one of the outputs to safety
ground (with the output knob at zero) resulted in an unprotected current
path.  If you buy one, check the wiring and fix it.  Otherwise it is an OK
unit.  Some of the workmanship is shoddy, but if you are willing to redo it,
the unit will be fine.  The basic core and winding is fine.

Gerry R