[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Primary Supports - Ball Cutter Question

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr-at-bellsouth-dot-net> 

Hey Adam...

the type of cut you are looking for can be done in 2 manners

1 .  drill the holes 3/4" below the edge of the material and along the 
intended primary attachment point and then saw off the excess material with 
the upper portion of the drilled holes. and there you have it    a "C" hole 
for primary retention.

2. this method requires either a mill or a router/table assy.   first use 
an end mill to create a slot smaller than the dia. of the hole you wish to 
create. then rerun the pattern with the Ball cutter...  be sure that the 
slot you cut with the end mill is a tad larger than the shank of the ball 

you may want to look at the options of "die grinder tooling" for a wider 
varity of shapes.

Scot D

using radial / table type of saws cannot create the cut you want....

Tesla list wrote:

>Original poster: Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>
>Tesla list wrote:
> >
> > Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com>
> >
> > I bought a ball cutter from McMaster Carr, in hopes of
> > being able to machine my primary supports. I'll be
> > using my radial arm saw to do this. I was hoping to be
> > able to cut slightly lower than the middle of the ball
> > into the supports, so I could snap my tubing into
> > place. The problem is that the ball cutter I bought
> > apparently can't cut more than half way into my
> > supports. This means that I'd have to make two passes,
> > in order to get the depth I need, which would result
> > in a slot, rather than a partial circle. In other
> > words, I won't be able to snap my tubing into place.
> >
> > Now on to my question...
> >
> > Do ball cutters exist that would allow me to cut
> > deeper than halfway down in a single pass? If so,
> > where can I get one? (A cheap one.)
> >
> > thanks
> > Adam
>     There are certainly cylinderical cutters with one hemispherical end.