Re: MOT coil does not light

Original poster: Finn Hammer <f-h-at-c.dk>

Aron,

This is no thing to mess around with, just shorting terminals together to
judge if things are right.
Measure is the way to go.

If you have not got a variac to ramp voltages up with, take advantage of
the voltage step-down ability of the transformers, so that you finish the
connections on the secondary`s and then apply 110 Volts to them and measure
the voltage on the primary windings. Much safer.

MOT`s are arranged symmetrically around a common grounded point, which
includes the cores of the 2 center MOT`s, and the centerpoint of the
secondary windings. From this centerpoint, the secondary`s fan out to eash
side in series, whereas all four primary windings are tied together in
parallel, spanning across this centerpoint, but not connected to it
electrically.

Make up each side separately, then finally hook them up together.

There is a voltage stepdown ratio of 2000/110=approx 1:20 or 1:40 for the 2
MOT`s in series.

If you apply 110 volts to the 2 secondary`s in series, you will get 110/40=
approx 2.5 volts on the primary`s.

Now parallel them. either you get very close to 0 volts or you get ~2.5
volts. Go for the connection that produces ~2.5 volts.

Repeat this procedure on the other side of the MOT-Pack.

Finally, connect the MOT`s secondary`s at the centerpoint, and apply 110
volts to it.

The stepdown ratio is now ~80:1, so you should find the connection, where
you get ~1.25 volts across the primary`s, rather than close to 0 volts.

I`ve done this, and I tell you: you can mess around with this phasing
buisness for ages untill you analyze the situation and measure.
Then it takes 5 minutes.

Stop whining about getting your fingers into oil. You put it there, so set
it right and move on. (been there, done that :-)

Hope this helps, Finn Hammer