Re: Aluminum tape on toroids? What about the sticky side being nonconducting?

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren1-at-iinet-dot-net.au>
 >
 > The adhesive on the aluminium tape may not affect spark length but is
 > visible.  Even despite my  best efforts using a strip with the plain side of
 > the tape down circumferentially to ensure a continuous path, the toroid does
 > light up in a number of areas with small point sparks. This is visible on
 > some of my photos as bright spots on the upper toroid eg
 > http://members.iinet-dot-net.au/~pterren/TeslaScitechaugveronica3.JPG

This is an interesting observation. Even if the strips are
interconnected,
the high-frequency transients caused by sparks may produce voltage
differences high enough for sparking at the edges.
I can see this in some balls that I have made for spark terminals in
electrostatic machines. I glued the two halves of the balls with epoxy,
but before this soldered a wire internally between the two halves.
The hemispheres are perfectly connected at DC, but sparks between the
terminals cause clearly visible tiny sparks between the two halves.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz