Re: magnifier questions

Original poster: "Daniel McCauley" <dhmccauley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Here is what Richard Hull had to say on the subject.  (I hope he won't mind
me posting his responses here)
Dan,

I found that 4:1 inductance ratio resonator to driver was adequate.  I never
played with the extremes.  I should have.

Number of turns in any coil is rather irrelevant as long as other criteria
are met.  Aspect Ratio;  Inductance; Top loading; primary inductance,
desired resonant frequency, etc.  Turns are turns.  It is not like there is
normal transformer action going on or anything.

Inductance in the resonator is important, but more important is the top
load, electrostatic control and proper energy delivery to the medium (air).

Richard Hull
-Dan

I must correct my error here.

Resonator coil should have inductance of 6-7 times the inductance of driver
coil.  3-4 x is a minimum for effective operation.  Resonator are typically
6-20 inches in dia. with very large number of closewound turns.  Use 200
degree C wire for effective insulation and you are "pushing" this insulation
very hard.

Dr. Resonance