Re: Superconducting tesla coil...

Original poster: Jim Lux <jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Phenolic/canvas is fairly low loss for RF (it's used for coil forms, tube
sockets, etc.)  I don't know that I'd want to use it for X-band microwave
stuff, but for <30 MHz, I doubt you'd have to worry.

Carl von Linde first liquified air in 1895.  When was Tesla fooling with
liquid air?

And, for what it's worth, liquid air can be kind of hazardous... the
nitrogen boils off leaving liquid oxygen behind.  Worse yet, the oxygen
condenses out of the air as the nitrogen boils.  LOX and combustible
materials -> serious fire hazard..

These days, cryo insulation in NASA test equipment is expanded polystyrene,
silica foam, PTFE foam, or vacuum jackets..  We also use a lot of stainless
steel (which is fairly low thermal conductivity... so, for instance, you
can get semirigid coax with stainless steel jacket and center conductors,
plated with a thin layer of silver (skin effect is your friend).  And,
there's always composites of one sort or another.

And, for the totally cool and sexy insulation, there's aerogel (available
commercially if you want to play around... google for it..).  We use
aerogel for insulating the rover electronics boxes from the Martian night
(both Sojourner and the two MERs).