Re: Superconducting tesla coil...

Original poster: Mark Broker <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:35:13 -0600, Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com> wrote:

<snip>
>If you know someone at the local college, they'll usually have a source
>where they can fill your container.
>
>Lots of industries use LN2 for refrigeration (food processing, biochem,
>etc.)  Sometimes a bit of asking around will find someone with a big bulk
>tank, and the necessary plumbing to draw some off for your container.  You'd
>be surprised... ask your friends.

Indeed the chemistry and/or physics departments often have a fairly large
dewar around.  If you talk to the right people (the "lab manager") and give
them a good story about how you're going to experiment with Tesla coils,
you could walk away with several liters for free.  Local manufacturing
plants use LN2 to cool bushings and other such interference-fit items prior
o installation.  (Watching an 8" bushing get stuck on instll once was
interesting....  Lots of LN2 and big torches :o )

A styrofoam cooler may work for stationary storage, I would strongly
discourage anyone from using it as a mobile storage....

Cheers,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group