Re: Magnifiers

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

 > I've been trying to get my head around the design of a Magnifier of
 > late and I seem to be having troubles connecting to Antonio's site.
 > I know it contains a wealth of information, but perhaps someone can
 > answer one question for me.  How do you calculate the secondary or
 > driver coil size?  I assume that the primary is resonant with the
 > extra coil in combination with the secondary, but I can't seem to
 > find any referrance as to how to figure its details out.

There is something wrong with the access to my site. Probably tomorrow
it will be there again. The mrn6 program in Terry's site can calculate
everything.
The ideal driver coil size depends on the mode of operation, and is
related to the coupling coefficient of the primary-secondary
transformer:
k12^2=L2/(L2+L3)
Based on the most recent data on experiments, the ideal magnifier
for spark production would be one that doesn't require a lumped
capacitance across L2, but works with the distributed capacitance
there only. The problem is that it's difficult to estimate this
capacitance with precision. For a flat primary coil, it is a bit
larger than the sum of the Medhurst capacitances of L2 and L3.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz