Re: Newcoiler tuning question

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <resonance-at-jvlnet-dot-com>

Until you hit the correct primary tap keep your power on variac 30% or less.
Use a point off the HV electrode so you can always see the spark length.

Also, after finding the tuning point then experiment with the sec. coil
elevation above primary (looking for optimum coefficient of coupling) for
best spark output.

After both these are accomplished then you can run the power up to 100% on
the variac.

Dr. Resonance

Resonance Research Corporation
E11870 Shadylane Rd.
Baraboo   WI   53913

 > When tuning my coil, what is the proper way to set the spark and safety
gaps
 > as I start to bring the voltage to 120? Also, are there any precautions I
can
 > take besides a good protective cicuit to ensure longevity for my NSTs? I
have
 > a primitive rotary gap, but it works. Ihave 3 separate grounds and a beer
 > bottle cap.

Keep your sparkgap tight for the initial tuning, around 0.060 inches total,
then later you can open it up to max of around 0.200 to 0.220 max value.