Re: Joining two rolls of wire on the secondary coil

Original poster: "Mark Broker by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <mbroker-at-thegeekgroup-dot-org>

To prove a few points at our summer 2001 teslathon, we did many bad things
to a secondary coil (we had about 4, and chose the ugliest to die),
including drawing arcs to a ground rod directly from the secondary
windings!  At one point we had finally managed to short a couple turns
about 20% from the top.  To rectify, I unwrapped a couple turns in each
direction, clipped the wires so that I could make a nice, ugly pigtail
splice (twisted the wires together).  I didn't even fold the splice over,
but left the 2 inches pointing out radially.  At the next power on, there
was a very faint green spark that lasted a second or two as the insulation
was burned off the splice.  The secondary proceeded to work flawlessly for
about another half hour....  We even attempted to discharge a pulse cap
through the thing (4kV, 100uF or something like that).  We failed to
electrically kill the coil.  I think we have video and pictures of it
somewhere....

So, in summary, it doesn't have to be perfect, or even LOOK good to work
well....

I've never spliced wire on a TC secondary, but would think that scraping a
flat spot a half inch long or so would make the easiest and least
conspicuous joint.  A small clamp could hold the two wires together at one
end of the splice....

The previous night of that teslathon featured R. Scott Coppersmith's coil
killing a PC (it took a while, and some manual intervention)....  but
that's an entirely different story.

Regards,

Mark Broker
Chief Engineer, The Geek Group