Re: Proposal for Tesla Coil Data Base

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Jim (Zimtesla-at-aol-dot-com) wrote:

 > I propose that a data base of what Tesla list coil builders consider
 > their best effortsbe developed. ...

 > I would like to see some feedback on this idea or if it already
 > exists, some direction on how to find it.

Well worth a look at the web pages of Stefan Kluge,

  http://www.stefan-kluge.de/

In particular,

  http://hot-streamer-dot-com/stk/tc/tech3.htm

in which Stefan plots the performance statistics of a number of
systems.

I'm not aware of any substantial database of coil design parameters,
although here and there on the web there are small collections, for
example see the table at the end of

  http://hot-streamer-dot-com/stk/tc/coilbld.htm

 > ... standardized description ...

There lies the main challenge, I think.

Nobody can say at present what combination of BPS, firing voltage,
secondary form factor, number of turns, and toroid size, is required
to achieve the max possible streamer length for a given wall plug
power.  Perhaps a statistical approach would move things forward.  If
patterns emerged, it might provide a reliable 'target' for theorists
to aim at.
--
Paul Nicholson