Re: Half Bridge Solid State

Original poster: David Sharpe <sccr4us-at-erols-dot-com>

Hi David!

Tesla list wrote:

 > Original poster: "David Trimmell" <humanb-at-chaoticuniverse-dot-com>
 >
 > Hi all, I have been looking at various half bridge SSTC topologies using
 > MOSFET"s and was wondering if anyone has used this IC:
 > http://www.irf-dot-com/product-info/datasheets/data/ir2153.pdf
 > It is the IR2153 Self-Oscillating Half-Bridge driver IC. I am new to all
 > this solid state stuff, so I am trying to find a nice, low count
 > (simple), circuit. Only desire is to be able to get ~10" sparks with a
 > small package, aside from secondary, of course. Anyone got a nice low
 > count circuit to share?

I have a very preliminary circuit designed on the "to do list" after the
first of
the year.  I've been working on a DC chopper motor controller using IGBT's.
I have had IGBT chopper working at 2HP (5kHZ, 300VDC -at- 10A),
smoked the chopper due to insufficent snubber protection and way to low
gate drive resistance (way too fast turn on and turn off).  Was impressive
to watch chopper work as the light dimmer from hel..., lighting a 1500W
mogul base incandescent bulb to full brillance at 60% DC and pulling
more then 28A from a 20A outlet circuit (WOW!)

I want to use IGBT's instead of FET's for SSTC.  There are several AN at
International Rectifier's website (www.irf-dot-com) for this circuit, one of
which
is how to build a linear VCO  (:!!!  :^) !!! ) to vary the frequency of the
device over a 2:1 range.  Detect your resonator base current and inject
into this circuit, and it self locks automatically to resonator frequency.
There
was a thread on this device a while back, drive current to 250mA.

 > Regards,
 >
 > David Trimmell

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!
Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS