RE: magnetic quenching efficiency

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gary.lau-at-hp-dot-com>

What you describe is used in circuit breakers, but won't work to quench a
TC gap.  The problem is that we want the gap to quench at the "notches" -
when the energy has moved to the secondary side and the tank/gap current is
at a minimum.  Assuming the electromagnet is energized with tank current,
we want the magnetic field to peak at the notch, and such a circuit works
exactly opposite from what we need.

The archives appear to be full of references to magnetic quenching, but I
have yet to see a credible, documented implementation.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

 >Original poster: "Gerry Reynolds by way of Terry Fritz
<teslalist-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gerryreynolds-at-earthlink-dot-net>